High-quality vehicles like a BMW need regular maintenance to stay in peak shape and give you the best performance possible. Part of this maintenance is the servicing of your fuel injector. Maybe you do not know why, so we will go over what a fuel injector does, why it is important to the proper functioning of your vehicle, the symptoms and causes of a bad injector, and where you should get yours serviced.
What Does a Fuel Injector Do?
This may seem obvious, but there is more to it than just the definition. A fuel injector delivers your fuel to your BMW’s engine. It also measures the timing in which the fuel should be delivered to give you optimal mileage and performance.
Why a Fuel Injector is Important to Vehicle Function
Without one of these handy parts in your BMW, your vehicle would perform poorly in a multitude of ways. Once it stops working, your trips to a gas station become more frequent, and other parts of your car will be damaged in the long-run.
Symptoms and Causes of a Bad Fuel Injector
You will be able to tell over time when your fuel injector may be malfunctioning or failing. Symptoms include:
- A rough and choppy engine, even when the vehicle is idling. This is both annoying and dangerous, so you should get it checked out as soon as possible.
- Frequent gas leaks. You will be able to notice it by the smell or by sight when it puddles up underneath your BMW onto the ground. Unlike oil, your fuel will have a very distinct smell even when it is not burning off in your engine.
- Lowered gas mileage. You should be able to look up what your vehicle model’s mileage should be. If you notice that you are running on empty faster than you normally do in your everyday routine, this means that your fuel injector may have stopped doing its job.
- Smoke coming from the tailpipe. This is the main function of a tailpipe, but the change will be unmistakable. Thicker, smellier, more frequent smoke tells you that a problem lies somewhere underneath your hood.
- These warning signs may be happening because your fuel injector has become clogged. When it does, it can’t deliver enough fuel to your engine to keep it running as it normally would. A buildup of debris and gunk is normal, but it can have dire consequences if you don’t have your injector serviced as regularly as recommended.
- Some of these signs may also be because your engine is running on fumes instead of the gas it needs. This will ultimately wear out the engine itself, which results in a more expensive repair than it could have been if you had the fuel injector serviced when you should.
When to Get Your BMW’s Fuel Injector Serviced
The first thing you should do is look at your manual and determine how long manufacturers say you should go between routine maintenance and service. This will give you the best idea of what to plan for and how to get it done on time. However, many mechanics recommend that you have your vehicle brought in for fuel injection servicing every 36 months or after every 45,000-60,000 miles you drive. As you can see, it does not take up too much of your time. The maintenance is infrequent, so it may be less inconvenient than you thought.
Where to Have Your BMW Serviced
Any standard mechanic just will not do when it comes to competently servicing your high-end vehicle’s fuel injector. If someone who does not specialize in these models tries to fix one, you could end up completely wasting your time and money on a botched job. Depending on the lack of know-how, they could even damage your BMW further. That costs a lot more later.
Instead, you should come down to Bavarian Auto. Our mechanics know what they are doing when they examine and service your BMW. After all, our business is dedicated to working on European cars like yours! You would not go to a regular doctor for a complicated surgery, would you? The same principle should apply when maintaining such a complicated and beautiful vehicle. If you are near the Hixson, Ootelwah, or Chattanooga, TN areas, we guarantee we can help you out quickly and efficiently.
Put your trust in the people at Bavarian Auto, and you will not leave disappointed.