To address any problems with your clutch and to determine if you need a clutch replacement, you need to take a close look at some of the symptoms. Although there may be some of these signs present, a qualified mechanic needs to do an inspection to determine the exact source of your clutch problems. However, read on for more details on signs of clutch failure in your MINI.
Common Signs the Clutch is Broken
An important aspect of car maintenance is learning how to tell when the clutch is not working properly. Sometimes this will result in the clutch needing replaced. However, in some cases our qualified mechanics will be able to look over the clutch and fix it without a full replacement.
Regardless of whether the clutch needs to be completely replaced or not, once you notice the following signs, you should bring your MINI Cooper to us for an inspection:
- If your car will not easily shift into gear, have this checked right away.
- When you do shift into a gear, if the transmission grinds, you may have a clutch problem.
- If the clutch pedal seems loose, it’s time for an inspection.
- If shifting requires that you push that clutch all the way down to the floor, you may need it replaced.
- If there is a rattling noise that sounds like it comes from the bottom of the MINI when it is in neutral and when you release the clutch pedal, this may indicate a need for clutch repair.
There are also a few signs that the clutch is completely broken and you need to get it replaced. It is important you are aware of the signs so you can resolve the problem before it leaves you stranded on the side of the road. A broken clutch can be expensive to replace and may cause other components of the car to break down.
Some of the signs the clutch is completely broken includes:
- The engine starts to rev faster than usual when you try to accelerate.
- Your MINI will take longer to move once you release the clutch
- Your MINI does not move at all when you release the clutch.
- There is a grinding noise any time you push down on the clutch pedal.
- There is vibration when you shift the clutch to get the vehicle to move.
Prevention of Clutch Problems
There are some tips for ensuring longevity of your clutch. Try not to let your foot “ride” or rest on the clutch until you are going to engage it. Even though you may not feel like your putting enough pressure on the pedal to utilize it, the clutch will wear out faster because it does slightly engage.
Put your MINI in neutral when you are stopped at a red light. Although it can be fun to play with the clutch and accelerator to maintain your spot in traffic, it’s putting unnecessary wear on your clutch system.
Last, routine maintenance makes it easier to catch when there is a potential problem with the clutch before it stops working or there is more damage to the engine. If you begin to notice something is wrong with the clutch, then it is best to seek the help of our qualified mechanic as soon as possible.
Bavarian Auto Will Fix Your Clutch
The only way that you can fix or replace a broken clutch is with the help of a qualified mechanic at our repair shop. We have all the tools necessary to take care of the clutch and get you a new replacement part installed in a timely manner.
If you want to avoid a costly repair on this part, it is best to keep up with routine maintenance on the vehicle all the time. With regular inspections, our qualified mechanics can take a look at your car and determine if there is any potential for the clutch to break. We can then complete the necessary maintenance to keep it working longer and to give you confidence in your vehicle.
At Bavarian Auto, we are here to help you maintain and repair your MINI Cooper. Our professionals are proud to serve the residents of Ooltewah, Hixson, and Chattanooga, TN with all of the car repair needs. Contact us today to reserve a spot for your inspection or repair. We look forward to earning your repeat business.