fbpx

What to Do when an Airbag Malfunctions in a Land Rover in Chattanooga

What to Do when an Airbag Malfunctions in a Land Rover in Chattanooga

Land Rovers are one of the most sought-after sports utility vehicles for commuters and adventurers alike. The brand is well known for its high performance and longevity. Unfortunately, these good qualities don’t absolve it of having faulty parts that require repair. The airbags system of Land Rovers develops problems with their airbags over time

Driving with a faulty airbag is never a good idea. The National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA) estimated that in frontal crashes, front airbags reduce driver fatalities by 29 percent and fatalities of front-seat passengers age 13 and older by 32 percent. Also, the combination of an airbag plus a seat belt reduces the risk of death in frontal crashes by 61 percent. It is horrible to imagine the numbers without the protection from airbags.

Airbags are vital safety tools that prevent drivers and front-seat passengers from a forced impact in the cabin of the vehicle. Airbags inflate nearly-instantly and deflate almost immediately, thus creating a cushion for your body upon collision.

Let’s take a closer look at the likely causes and symptoms of airbags malfunction and discuss where they can be repaired.

Causes of Airbag Malfunctions

The airbags of your Land Rover can malfunction as a result of these situations:

  • Drained airbag backup battery: The main battery of your Land Rover powers the backup battery that powers the airbag. Hence, when the main battery is dead, the backup battery is drained, too. If you charge the main battery, the backup battery might become charged but this will usually require a replacement.
  • Sensor malfunction: Various parts of your vehicle have sensors linked to its onboard computer system. Sensors notify the computer of any forceful impact, and the system responds by releasing the airbags instantaneously. If the sensors are faulty, the airbags will not be deployed.
  • Damp airbag module: The airbag module that controls its release is located under the driver and passenger seats of your Land Rover. When the module comes in contact with water, the water can impair the functionality of the airbag module.
  • Faulty airbag clock spring: The function of the clock spring is to maintain a connection between the airbag on the driver side and the electrical wiring of your Land Rover. It twists in and out as you turn the steering wheel. It becomes worn out and faulty over time from constant twisting, thereby causing the airbags to malfunction.

Signs of an Airbag Malfunction

The dashboard of your Land Rover contains a series of lights that notifies drivers of faulty parts. One of those lights is the airbag light. It is an undeniable sign as you must notice it if you pay attention to your car.

The airbag light is an amber-colored light that looks like an inflated airbag. When you sit down in the driver’s seat, the sensors will check that the airbag is on and functioning. It will also do this for the passenger seat. The airbag will not be at-the-ready if it does not detect enough weight in the seat to account for the weight of a person. Hence one of the reasons why children must not be placed in the passenger seat, as their weight may or may not be detected. Check your owner’s manual for more information about your Land Rover’s possibly many airbags and where they are located in your cabin.

Bavarian Auto to the Rescue

The best way to ensure that the airbags and every other part of your land rover Land Rover Airbag Repair are in good condition is to perform routine maintenance and repairs by professional mechanics. Bavarian Auto is the hub of experienced mechanics. All our experts are committed to providing nothing less than quality repairs and maintenance.

We offer repairs and maintenance for German car brands, including Audi, Jaguar, BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche, and Volkswagen. You can trust us with all the repairs concerning your Land Rover. We use world-class diagnostic and repair tools to maintain your car.

Bavarian Auto is located in Chattanooga, TN, and we are the go-to service center for drivers in the surrounding area of Ooltewah and Hixson. We are always available for all your car repairs. Call or visit our website to schedule an appointment with our professionals!